In the 15th Century the Bellunese territory became part of the Venetian Republic, marking a great step forward in the transformation of the area from a rural county to a more developed one. The population was finally able to exploit its resources in the best way to obtain an economic income.
In particular the city of Feltre as well as both the Cadore and the Cansiglio areas became Venice’s premium suppliers of wood, used to build its navy fleet.
Furthermore, the city of Belluno and the mines of Zoldo and Agordo experienced an impressive industrial build-up becoming some of the most important providers of swords. For instance their swords were sold not only to Venice, but also to international partners like England, with whom they signed a prosperous deal consisting of 600 swords per month for 10 years.
Religion also played a key part in this industrial process, churches and monasteries were either built from scratch or restored giving jobs to many people. The monastery of St. Mary of Loreto in Belluno was built in these ages. It was a big accomplishment for the city, finally allowing it to have a women’s monastery. The bishop who made this project happen was called Alvise Lollino. This project has tremendous importance because it was a monastery meant to host nuns from both noble origins and not.
The Venetian domain over Belluno ended in the late 18th Century, when in 1797 the Napoleonic troops conquered the city and its territories. It is worth noting that during the Napoleonic times it occurred the first time in which the different territories of the northern part of Veneto were grouped all together under one administration: the central government of Belluno. In addition, many cemeteries were built around this time, marking a big improvement in the overall hygiene of the population.




0 commenti